Saturday, September 8, 2007

TO (Pronounced Toe)

So this last week has been fairly uneventful. I say that with full knowledge that my definition of "normal" has drastically changed. I never thought that donkey cries at 3:00 a.m. or constantly trying to avoid donkey poop while walking or hearing a call to prayer every day or having to avoid a herd of cattle while walking down the main road in town would fit into my definition of normal. They get more of a reaction out of me now by serving beans with a meal than they do when I come home from class and my host mom is pounding millet topless. I guess I'm integrating well.
The other day we were riding into Bamako and we looked over at the car next to us and this lady was picking her nose. I mean she was really going to town on it and Brandon, a fellow trainee in Banankoro commented sarcastically, "at least she wasn't using her left hand because THAT would just be disgusting." I don't know, you probably had to be there to really find that funny, but it hit me just right and I laughed so hard I cried.
We were in class the other day talking about what a beautiful language Bambara is and how it sounds just like long fingenails on a chalkboard sometimes. Especially when mothers are yelling at kids. A little later we were at Becky's family's house and her mother was yelling at the kids and the comment was made, "Mm, hits your ear like a feather. Such a beautiful language. Hey is my ear bleeding?"

So I thought that since my week had been pretty boring as far as fun stuff to report on went, I would write about some other stuff that maybe got cut from previous posts. Which brings me to TO. I hate to. To is pounded millet (usually, but it can be made out of sorghum and corn sometimes) that is cooked and served in these grey balls of gooey evil. Also it is normally served with an okra sauce that looks and feels exactly like snot. Delicious.
Sidenote: There was a volunteer who used to call hooking up with Malian women "eating to for fun."

We're coming into the holiday season soon so keep your eyes out in Hallmark stores for handbags from Mali. There is a women's group who makes them and they got in touch with Hallmark (via Peace Corps) and Hallmark ordered maybe 100,000 of the bags.

Swear in is coming soon. I leave to go back to homestay this afternoon, but I'm only there for about a week at the most. Then Tubaniso for about another week and then swear in on the 21st. Then Dogon country for 2 years (where they eat to everyday for every meal). I am very ready to be a volunteer and no longer a trainee. My language test has me a little nervous, but I think I am ready for it.

So that's about all the news that's fit to print from West Africa. Some people wanted my mailing address. If you guys are sending things you might as well start sending them to


B.P. 15
Bandiagara, Mali
West Africa

Next time I promise pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, cutie. It all sounds amazing. I didn't cry, but I did laugh while reading about the nose picking :) I hope you are doing much better and missing home less. I miss calling you at three in the morning! Who else will pick up the phone? Anyway, i have no idea what grows in Africa and what kind of posters you want. Let eveyone know and I'm sure you'll get more than you anticipated! Miss you! Anne
p.s. Good luck on your language test!

Anonymous said...

What are the mail/package restrictions where you are? The PC website suggests we find those things out before we send you anything.

Ryan said...

Hey man, we're all set to leave here in a week or so. Just wanted to let you know that we're keeping track of you via the blog. Here's ours: notesfromthegambia.blogspot.com.

I've got your email saved, so we'll let you know when we're settled in and maybe we can meet up somewhere sometime.

Keep it up
ryan